Two New Yorkers who go see great Theater every other Tuesday

...

Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Little Night Music - Catherine Shmatherine, It's got Angela Lansbury!!

Lots of folks will be going to the Walter Kerr Theater to see Catherine Zeta-Jones. That's all fine and dandy, but the real reason to attend is, of course Angela Lansbury!

Because of some scheduling problems, it had been three weeks since Kevin and I had been to the theater, so I was prepared to pay full price to see A Little Night Music. But just in case, I headed down to the South Street Seaport TKTS booth just to see...and, Baruch Ha's hem!! (sorry to the members of the tribe) Lo, and behold there it was!! Discounted tickets to the show we had so anxiously been waiting to see. I snatched them up (the ticket booth guys are now recognizing me) and texted Kevin to share the good news.

Now, it's a Tuesday night show. Would the understudies for either Ms. Zeta-Jones-Douglass or Ms. Lansbury be going on in their stead? It would be a long 3 hours waiting to find out. (I won't keep you waiting. We saw them both!)

This has long been one of my favorite Sondheim scores, but I've never seen a live production. So it was kind of nice to finally put all the songs I know so well into context. (Oh! That's what that song is about...) And let's be frank. It is a singer's show. The well trained voice is what is called for. Luckily all but one cast member fits that requirement. Care to guess who the "one"is?

Let's get the supporting players out of the way. Ramona Mallory is just as annoying as the role of Anne requires. Good! Alexander Hanson is a wonderfully charismatic Fredrik. Nice! Hunter Ryan Herdlicka is competent as Henrik (although he lacks the un-godly high notes that Stephen wrote for some sadistic reason). Aaron Lazar and Erin Davie are wonderful as the Count and Countess. Hooray! But...
but...
Leigh Ann Larkin steals the show as Petra. Her rendition of The Miller's Son is the best I've ever heard. Tony nod here. Plus she has such an ease on stage; commanding presence without stealing focus. Care to guess which of her co-stars does not share her ability?

A quick nod to the chorus which had some of the best singing moments in the show. And in the Greek chorus tradition, they move the plot along whilst commenting on the action.

Kudos to the costume design, but double kudos to the amazing, versatile set design. Look for a Tony nod here, too.

I want to end on a high note, so I'll dispense with Ms. Zeta-Jones-Douglass. First of all, I want to say that she is well cast as Desiree. And she does understand the character. And there are wonderful moments when all the forces onstage align into a nice dramatic moment (Send in the Clowns). But somehow I'm left wanting more. It's as if she just doesn't "get" the live stage medium. I mean for chrissakes, hold for laughter and applause please! And while I certainly do not advocate grotesque over-acting, some of her moments are played too small to fully register with the poor people in the cheap seats. (There is one good thing about the cheap seats. Ms. Zeta-Jones-Douglass does "flash" upstage in one scene, and the back of the set is made of mirrors, and I'm told she is actually nude, and that you get a good view of this from the rear of the balcony.) She is taking a break for a couple of weeks in March and April. Perhaps I'll get cheap tickets and see her understudy. The show itself is certainly worth it.

And lastly, Ms. Angela Lansbury as Madame Armfeldt. This was my first time seeing this venerable actress, this superstar, this legend of the Broadway stage in person, and I can easily say, I was not disappointed. It's just a shame her part isn't bigger! Go see her while she's still in it!

All in all, a most wonderful night out at the theater! I highly recommend this production. (I'm going to have to start using some sort of rating system- 4 curtains up?)

Go see it!!
Brian



No comments:

Post a Comment